Saturday, October 9, 2010

Late arrival, Late morning & good news

Here I am at last in the great industrial center of Torino! I'm thrilled to report that nobody speaks english, and those who smile and say 'yes I speak english' with excitement in their eyes, speak the worst english. I have plenty to tell, even though I havn't done anything outside of my apartment yet. But I have to keep it short because net cafes are more expensive by far than Peru.

Last night it was already very dark as the plane began its descent into turin. Out of the plane I bought a bus ticket for the train station downtown conveniently located across the stree from where I live now, 17 Via Nizza. Dad, thanks for looking that info up for me, strangely I didn't have to fill out one single scrap of paperwork to enter Europe, and nobody was hanging around trying to ask me if I'd been on any farms abroad offering to wash my shoes... Seems sensible... My mind is wandering.

Well, so it was nighttime, I borrowed somone's phone in the airport to call vanessa, she had made plans with friends to party all night and she was across town somewhere far. I'm a zombie and numbly write down directions to use the metro to get to where she's gonna be. Only then did she specify that it was going to be a out-till-dawn type of thing in the same breath as scratching all those plans, 'Oh darling, you are very tired of course, you want to sleep very much. I will come to the train station and let you into the apartment, you go to bed, that's it.' The zombie lucks out. I would be in such a bad mood if I'd tried to stay up late last night, not least in a club.

As it turns out, I slept until I couldn't sleep anymore no matter how hard I tried, took a shower, did some stretching, ate sardines from a japanese grocery in NYC for breakfast, wrote a bunch, and generally organized my mind. The whole time I had no clue of the time. The sky is gray and it's looked exactly the same as when I woke up all day. I only just learned that it's 5:30pm. So I probably woke up around 2:00.

As far as my neighborhood and the place I'll be living for the next month, I really really like it. I had to warm up to the apartment, but this morning I had to warm up to life. After breakfast I was feeling warmer towards life than I can really remember. And I was ok with my digs. The neighborhood is pretty remarkable, there are tons of Africans that live here, a guy from Somalia sat and chatted with me last night helping me call Vane and get my bearings. He's one of sixteen kids, between three moms, his dad has a lot of kids in a lot of place to keep track of. He's a refugee. Everyone--Everyone--I approach is so so friendly, noone speaks english, and everyone hopes that we'll meet again perhaps.

That's all I've got for now, I just walked two blocks down the street to this internet cafe and that's all I've done outside today. I'm just going to keep walking east on this street until I want to turn around, that way I wont get lost, but I might branch out. Someone gave me a tourist map of Turin today which was hella refreshing after buying a map for $4 in NYC.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment